View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

First, get her super excited! Jackson is the most motivated to learn when I first walk in the door, for example, because he's excited to see me, etc. Or I will get him all worked up... I know it sounds crazy but I'll get him to chase me thru the house for a minute, or get on the ground with him and start playing with him, etc... get him all riled up. Because if he's tired or not in the mood, he can be slooowww at doing his tricks. I like the way he "works" best when he's all hyped up. Use high pitched voices, etc.

Also, use real meat! Bil Jacs aren't the healthiest but I do use them occasionally... but they don't motivate Jackson to learn a new trick. New tricks are taught with cheese (I buy those cheese sticks), chicken, steak, or some kind of real food. The only dog treats that he truly loves and motivate him are these: Amazon.com: Real Meat Beef Jerky Dog Treats: Home...Amazon.com: Real Meat Beef Jerky Dog Treats: Home...
Have you ever used a clicker? Jackson went from knowing 20 tricks to 40 within a few months time period after adding the clicker. He learned at double the speed. Bascially, the clicker is just your way of saying 'yes!' It's a more precise, clear signal that the dog did what you wanted them to do. For a video on clicker training, watch this:

You've gotta be fun and exciting... and make them want to learn! My dads dog, Buddy is a Dachshund mix and he's pretty "duhhh" when it comes to learning new things but it just takes that extra effort to motivate him, because he's not easily motivated. I used to throw a treat to him, and he would let it smack him on the face LOL... with a little bit of practice, I would get him to watch the treat, and focus, and now he always catches the treat when I throw it... he always can sit pretty for hours now, ha, he's got a fat butt for good balance.

But anyways, it's all about finding your dogs currency, aka her form of money! Every dog is different. Real meat is what gets Jackson to do, well, pretty much anything I want him do, lol. I could have never trained him half of the tricks he knows with just Bil Jac treats.

Hope this helps a little!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!