View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
brutas
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieusa View Post
Little dogs with congestion can become pneumonia very easily. I would suggest an emergency hospital. I believe this one is within 30 miles of where you live:

Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, LLC
Address
2611 Florida St.
Mandeville, LA 70448

Phone
Main: 985-626-4862

Ok, long story short, since my last message as too long and my session timed out causing me to lose my message.
I was able to see vet today, prescribed .75mg of Amoxicillin twice daily, comes out to 10 days worth, the nameless Antihistamine / Steroid, probably on receipt (in car), give ½ pill twice daily for 4 days, ½ pill once daily for 4 days, and ½ pill for 4 days every other day.
DR notes verbatim are:
Exam – temp – 100.2, color – pink, deciduous canines (upper), heart/lungs – ok, abdomen – ok, harsh tracheal cough elicited on palpation, scant clear tenacious phlegm in pharynx, tonsils ok.

She said temp was a bit low and I could give her ½ tsp Robitussin DM every 4 – 12 hours.

Dutchess got two steam showers this morning while I was at work, which was from 4am – 9am, though I think some of her anxiety is rolled over from my GF who gets stressed when Dutchess is coughing, since I have gotten home all day even when at vet she has not coughed, just a couple of sneezes. I am going to give meds as prescribed but I don’t think I am going to give her the Robitussin b/c I have no experience with that particular medicine and dogs and she is not coughing.
The Vet said I could continue the steam showers if needed as they are recommended in situations such as this. And to “Recheck if not improved within 5 – 7 days.”

As I type this message she is sleeping on the couch next to me as she is waiting on me to go to bed, such a daddy’s girl, she is so ready to go to bed but I am still up so she is sleeping out here with me instead of in bed.
The canines she mentions I am going to have addressed when we have her fixed, which will be done once she fully recovers from her cold. I am not sure if I am missing something, I wanted to give as many details as possible since there are so many people on this forum willing to help and make me feel welcome and more comfortable with my first little dog.

I will update status as the days go by to keep all informed and possibly pass on some knowledge to the next person.

And thanks for the information about the Emergency Vet Clinic as this information is now in my phone as well as my GF’s, though hopefully it will not be needed.

Thanks again for the information and concern to all those that have read and responded to our time of need.
Love Dutchess and Family.
brutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!