Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyja View Post
Hi everyone!

I just received an adult Yorkie(about 3-4 years old). He came from a broken home with an owner who was a drug addict(female) and also had a mental disorder.

I took him in just a few days ago, not knowing any of his history. I'm actually not sure if he is a full breed Yorkshire-but the vet and many others seem to clasify him as one. He seems a bit tall compared to the Yorkies I have seen. I will post a picture of him when I first received him.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2yxkv1s.jpg

He is so sweet, very hyper/jumpy/jittery. He seems to bark at all men, he is not neutered, and he had fleas which we are currently treating.

I had to have his hair cut very short due to the matted hair and fleas. I am feeding him Eukanuba(which is what I was recommended but have read is not a good choice)

I want the best for him.

Do you have any tips for a new dog owner?

Does he look like a yorkie?

What are some good brands of food for him? Also, do I need yorkie specific food, or just small breed?

What shampoo/conditioner do you use for your dog?

Is he at an ok age for behavior classes?

Thank you!
Yes, my Scoober was a puppy mill reject used to having been caged, socialized, fearful beyond belief of people aggressive to other dogs and sickly.
1. patience
2. walks, exercise and also TRICKS! Tricks are not only fun because you can show off what your dog can do but Yorkies (most terriers) are super smart and eager to please, they need mental stimulation tricks are like games and exercise for them at the same time. I feel tricks also build their confidence.
3.Also try stimulating toys a dog that has been abused often wants to be alone at first and giving them a toy that stimulates their mind keeps it busy while they get used to you-well it distracts them and they think more about it that you and you can get them more comfortable without thinking about it. Especially give the toy when men come over so the focus in the toy and not the man he's there its okay slowly but surely push it but slowly remember #1 Safe toys Yorkie sized! No rawhide! Harness and appropriate height raised feeder.
4. Get him fixed right away, he can rest while he gets used to the transition-with a male make sure you get the cone thingy for his neck I didn't get one and realized how much easier it would have been instead of watching him constantly.
5. Dawn dish soap kills fleas ( I just learned that on here!) and will give him a deep good cleaning-aids in getting the ratty mat stuff out and removes all oils I use it with nexxus, biosilk, biolage (mostly matrix products here)-well I use my shampoos & conditioners on them so ye but I hear main and tail is awesome for dogs and much cheaper its just easier to use my stuff its already in the shower and it makes them look great too. Just a personal note-even water bath afraid dogs (well mine) love the removable shower head it makes it so easy to "bath them"
6. Innova personally here the one with the Yorkie on the bag its small bites-in kibble not wet food. Zukes mini naturals are a safe Yorkie treat, small greenies broken in half anyways for teeth we love dogswell breathies and mellow mut (for the vets) and also stella and chewy's duck duck dinner patties
7. A dog is never to old for behavior classes-best let him have a few to get healthy, fixed, and used to you before jumping into training and behavior-my Scoobers was a fly on the wall and a blur racing from behind the couch to under the table for 8 days before he came out and we went for an unforced walk and he went to his dog bed and laid down for the first time instead of running to hide as soon as we got back in and I removed his leash-it takes time but yours sounds not as extremely-well Scoobers was scared of grass so ye it was extreme with him...best of luck and congratulation! There are so many helpful people on here! Research everything and enjoy the heck out of your new Yorkie (mix-silky-looks pretty Yorkie in your pic)) post pics and keep us updated!

Last edited by concretegurl; 12-01-2010 at 12:36 AM.
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!