Thread: Yorkie - Stroke
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
yorkiegab
No Longer a Member

Cry Yorkie - Stroke

Hello Folks,

This is my first post, and I wish that it could be under more pleasant circumstances. I live in Dallas; my ex-wife lives in North Carolina. She called me Sunday to tell me that Chloe had a stroke. Chloe is 14 years old, and has had an excellent health record other than cataracts that she developed about 2 years ago.

Flora took her to a "Vet in a Box," who, after doing an MRI, said that she has had a stroke. Chloe was completely lifeless, not able to stand up or function. Flora took some medications with her and went back home. She was able to get Chloe to drink water, which is a good sign, we are told.

Flora took her to her regular Vet Monday morning. From what Flora tells me, I read that the Vet wanted to put her down, but that Flora was so distraut that he gave her 2-days worth of medicines and sent her back home. Chloe cannot stand up, but will eat and drink, if Flora holds her up.

In the meanwhile, I Googled "Yorkie - Stroke" and found two folks whose 12- and 14-year old Yorkies survived a stroke, after 5-8 weeks of intensive therapy and TLC. These were posted in 2008, so I thought that I would create a new post.

So, I am asking for your experience and advice in this matter. I feel that she should put Chloe down, but I am 1500 miles away, and in no position to make such a decision.

If you have any experience at all with strokes, I would love to hear from you, both your experience and your recommendation, PARTICULARLY ABOUT RECOVERY TIME AND THERAPY.

Thanks in advance,

George
yorkiegab is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!