View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I just had Ben neutered a couple months ago. He is gaining rapidly. He gained 1/2 a pound in the two weeks from neuter to getting stitches out. He was weighing in around 4 pounds (a little over or a tiny bit over) but he evidently gained some prior to the neutering as his chart said he was 4.5 and then went to 5 pounds 2 weeks later! I think he has gained more since then. I am thinking it is time I think about cutting his access to food.

I have free fed all of my dogs for years and years. They have always been described as "lean" by the vet. But not so with Ben right now. I think he is also eating Annie's puppy food, so I am getting some All Life Stage Food to see if that helps a bit. I don't know if her puppy food tastes better or if it is just because he is not supposed to have it, but he will try to sneak it every chance he gets. It is higher in calories plus he is eating it in addition to his own.

He gained up to 5 pounds once before. I can't remember if it was when I had puppies or not. But I do remember him being up there and then he slimmed back down. May have been a change in food too as I have gone through a couple different ones along the way. He seems to stay nice and slim on Canidae All Life Stage Chicken & Brown Rice. So, I may go back to that. Now that I think about it and since he must have gained prior to the surgery, his weight gain may be more due to the food situation than his neutering. Still, I don't think it helped.

I wouldn't mind him carrying a little extra except for the health risks. I have read that it does increase the collapsed trachea. It also increases heart problems, joint and bone problems. They have enough health risks just being small dogs, I don't want to increase it by letting them get too fat.

Last edited by FlDebra; 11-14-2010 at 07:00 AM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!