View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #29
kjcmsw
YT 500 Club Member

And on a side note: I highly doubt that your vet told you to breed this little girl. He more than likely said to spay this little girl and you heard "breed" because her line would be broken.

A vet may have told her because I have two Yorkies, one very breedable (right size, good health, conformation, good bloodlines, mother, grandmother whelped easily, etc., etc. ) and other Yorkie (as much as I love her and she is healthy) I would not breed (too small 4#11oz), poor conformation, etc etc and I had a vet (not their regular vet, a fill-in) suggest I breed her too because of her "extra sweet" disposition and how cute she is (personally I think she looks "scruffy"). Her hips are clearly very narrow (just by looking) - I suppose she might very well deliver pups okay, but it's not a chance I'm taking...not too mention, it certainly wouldn't contribute to the breed...sweet disposition or not!
I remember thinking thank God I got a brain...which makes me wonder a person that just wanted to breed their dog and got information like that from a vet (no less) might have bred their dog, ignoring the obvious (in my opinion). And (not that the vet knew this) but I had a met someone and after talking discovered she had my dog's brother (from the same litter) and that dog weighs something like 8 plus pounds, so clearly there are some "big" genes in there. (thinking mine was probably the runt or something)
Just thinking about being told that by a vet ticks me off. All I'm saying vets, like a GP may know a little about a lot of different things, but it doesn't mean they know that much about "little" dogs (Yorkies, etc). I do think it's important to know the breed you intend to breed inside and out and after learning all you can (objectively) then make your decision.

Would the world be a better place if there were a lot of "sweet" Carly's running around? Probably. Am I willing to risk her life for that? No.
Sorry, world get your own "sweet" Yorkie!!! lol
Kendra
kjcmsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!