Thread: Yorkie Seizure
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
my2boyz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarnfolk View Post
I am giving her Pedalite orally by syringe every several hours along with Nutrical.
How big is your Yorkie?
What do they eat?
How do you feed...free feed or scheduled feeding?
How often are you giving the Nutrical?
Why do you give pedialyte?

My vet told me a few years ago that Nutrical can actually cause low blood sugar because it is used to raise the blood sugar and then the sugar drops. If you are using it on a regular basis maybe you should talk with your vet about something else. Is your Yorkie not eating and that's why you're using the Nutrical?

There are man things that can cause seizures...they shouldn't just be medicated because they had a seizure...the cause of the seizure needs to be found and the problem needs to be treated...not the sympton. Sometimes it can be something as simple as exposure to a chemical or toxin, a food allergy or a reaction to a vaccine. Please look at the whole picture before starting your Yorkie on meds of any kind and get a second opinion if you feel you need to.

You said she was drooling a lot...have you had a canine dentist check her mouth? A bad tooth, cracked tooth, cavity, something stuck in there, abccess etc... can cause a lot of pain, make them not want to eat (which would cause low blood sugar) and they would drool...pain would give her the vacant look in her eyes. Not saying that's the problem...just suggesting you have her mouth checked to possibly rule it out.

Did your Yorkie have any shots before this started? She is about the age that a booster is recommended. I just had a flu shot and had a weird reaction so I know it happens. Injuries can also cause seizures. Has she been injured recently...like playing hard and bumping her head or falling or anything like that?

Keep an eye on her and document when/if she has an issue again...note things that might have changed or what was happening at the time of the seizure or even a few days before, what she may have eaten, what chemicals you used inside or out, if she had any new foods or vaccinations or medications...this information will be mportant to your vet in finding the underlying problem.

Does she get table food of any kind? I believe there are some human foods that can cause seizures in animals.

I hope this was a one time reaction to something and that it will never happen again and I hope she is feeling better now.

Good luck!
my2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!