View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

You have to realize that you are a new member, coming onto a forum of dog/Yorkie lovers, and we're pretty passionate about our dogs. It sounds REALLY bad to introduce yourself stating that you got rid of your first Yorkie because she couldn't house train and now you have another one that is only 5 weeks old. To us, we could NEVER just give our Yorkie up for something so simple. Just to give you another point of view. I know it can be difficult joining a forum as a newbie and getting harsh responses. I assure you this is a really nice community but as a public forum, people can for the most part say what they want to say. And you've gotten really good advice.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else's advice. Potty training a Yorkie is NO simple task and it requires GREAT supervision. I was very lucky in that I got Jackson when I had off 3 weeks. I spent those 3 weeks on a VERY strict schedule. We would wake up at 7am, go outside... if he never went, he would go back in his crate for another 10 minutes. I'd try again, etc. He NEVER got to just roam free (unless my eye was on him 24/7) until he had already pottyed outdoors. I didn't give him a chance to begin sniffing the carpet, and watching for signals... I would see him drink water, and know he was going to have to go minutes after, so would take him outside in advance. Set them up for success; not failure. I'm not going to lie, Jackson will still have the occasional poop accident and it's 100 percent of the time MY fault. He poops in the living room maybe once every two months or something and it's generally when it's raining, or he barked at the door but I didn't believe he had to go He's 99.9 percent potty trained since 6 months old. In general, Yorkies as a breed can be difficult.

May I ask, with your first Yorkie, did you crate-train? Put her in a pen, etc? Why was she given the CHANCE to go potty on the carpet or indoors? I'm just wondering the method you used. It sounds to me she was possibly given a bit too much freedom.

Last edited by Britster; 11-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!