View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #21
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

[quote=MaltYorkiGal;3310954]First of all I want to say a big thank you to Jodi who bumped up my thread today, as I posted yesterday...

Also a big thank you to all who have responded so far and have offered some great advice along the way! I don't know what I would do without this online community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
What medication is your dog on for the two weeks?
QUOTE]

Amoxicillian 50mg tablet, twice daily

and

Denosyl 50mg tablet, once daily

When I gave her her first tablet, I had to crush it and put it in a little Cesar dog food (the wet stuff in those little containers)...then she took it with no problem

Is putting it in a little bit Cesar OK? Or should I try something else?

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. Your vet must be suspecting some infection, although we've done antibiotics for Daisy when liver enzymes are up because sometimes an infection can be the cause. Denosyl is a supportive therapy shown to help the liver. Marin is another therapy many of us use for our liver impaired dogs.

I'd lay off the foods you find in the supermarket like Little Cesar. They may be tasty to dogs but it's the equivalent of eating McDonald's for us - a once and a while treat that makes us feel crappy after! (Or at least it does me). Some may disagree with me here but I would not use those foods. I give medicine inside pieces of chicken or if it is Daisy inside a piece of cooked sweet potato.

There are lots of good foods on the market. I home cook exclusively so I am not one to ask for suggestions.

RE: the drug names - just make sure you talk to your vet about not using valium or its derivatives if the liver has not returned to normal. Personally, all my dogs undergo anesthesia using propofol and isoflurane because they don't stay in the liver as long as the valium so are easier on the liver. Many vets use this already as a protocol but it is good to ask about. Same on the anti-inflammatory drugs. Only your vet is qualified to determine what is right for your dog but these are things you can and should know about and ask him/her about! Many of us here put our vets through the ringer with questions

As for the baby carrots - mine were eating them from babyhood! Just cut them up small into little pieces and use as treats. If you're still nervous about it, go for the steamed green beans. Mine eat all kinds of veggies and fruits. Barney and Daisy have gotten into really bad fights over a spinach leaf!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!