View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klyn View Post
Lacie is 14 weeks. Potty training has been going well lately- not very many accidents at all. We had one last week in her crate when we tried giving her a kong for the first time with a very small amount of treats. Other than that, she's been great.

Tonight we had her in her crate for almost 3 hours. That's the longest we've dared have her in there. She didn't have an accident, and she went directly outside to take care of her business. Then as a reward, she gets to run around the house for a small amount of time. I was in the basement with her, and my mom was upstairs. When she ran up to find my mom, the phone happened to ring at the same time. My mom answered the phone, so I decided it would be a good idea to go upstairs to keep an eye on Lacie. Just as I got up the stairs, Lacie came running out of the guest bedroom. Being completely out of sight of humans for even less than a minute didn't sound super great to me, so I went into the bedroom. Sure enough- two small turds in the middle of the room. Perhaps we should have known she had to poop still, but she doesn't always poop when we think she should anyway. That doesn't necessarily mean she's going to have an accident in the house.

Is it normal to still have to watch her EVERY single second when she's been doing so well?
Cough, well yes, she is still a wee baby. Housebreaking with Yorkies can be difficult and may take up to one year or so. You're right, patience, patience, patience on your part, will reward you with an earlier housebroken Yorkie. Also it is best if you can, to go out with her when you send her out to potty, to see exactly what she does, and make a big reward out of going potty. Use a command go pee pee or wee wee, or whatever word you select, then she does it ... GOOD pee pee, treat. Go poo, go no 2 whatever and when she does it same deal, reward with voice, and with treats.

Hang in there you only have 9 1/2 mths to go
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!