View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
linanator
Yorkie Yakker

Default Newborn puppy not nursing

Just went through exact same thing. (Don't know about being born w/eyes open. That's a new one to me). After several tries on different suggested diets, a friend of mine who had just been though this with a cleft baby, told me to do the Leersburg diet. 10oz. undiluted goat's milk (Walmart or grocery store), 1 tsp. Karo, 1 egg yolk, 1 cup whole milk yogurt. Dannon makes one. Mix altogether and get your vet to show you how to tube feed or get a really good 'pet' bottle for small aniimals. Petsmart has a better on than the ER Vet! You have to cut a tiny 'x' in the top. Be careful and look because some of these bottles come with a pre-cut hole and it's too big! drown the little guy.
I tube fed until today when my hubby found the right kind of bottle and today my little guy started on the bottle. Weighed 4.5 oz. at birth, dropped to 3.4 before I realized what was happening (I had pneumonia). Born 9/13. Today he weighs 7.2 oz! (9/29/10).
But you need to either start out tube feeding if he won't suckle, or bottle feed if he will. Feed every 2 hours until 2 weeks, then you might can go to 3. If he really starts striving, you might can go every 3 hrs. in the day and every 4 hrs. at night til he's 4 weeks old. Then every 4-6 hrs., but if he's doing well, start weaning and begin w/baby food----chicken. I'm not a vet, so you might want other opinions. Just telling you what I know works. Good Luck! Keep us posted.
linanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!