View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
I agree with Cathy and Crystal. I'd get further testing done to rule out Salmonella and a fecal profile done. You've got two things going on here - feeding raw recently and the possible exposure to giardia at daycare. I just don't think stress would would give them diarrhea for a month.

Not all dogs do well on raw and not all dogs do well on high protein commercial food. We've had Maltese on another forum I belong to have elevated kidney values on both Acana and Evo. Each dog is an individual and what works for one may not work for another. Short term you don't have to worry about supplements.

I would definitely give probiotics a try like Crystal suggested. Animal Essentials makes a good one. I also think a bland diet of chicken and rice is a good idea at this point. Some dogs, like Lady, don't digest rice well so I use oatmeal or barley.

BTW, congratulations on the new job! Is it with the vet clinic or something completely new?
i'm going back to my field of study and working in parks and rec. it's a desk/office assistant job for the local community center, but salary is higher than here and it's got lots of room to grow, learn, and move up. YAY.

And now back to the dogs:

Since Bentley has had two normal days since going back to the primal pheasant diet i am going to leave him alone for the time being. Sadie i'm going to give propectalin because she has actually been fine for this entire month with the exception of vomitting episodes back on labor day, and ONE episode last weekend. she's been normal stools until yesterday and only started the runs when we went back to primal from orijen (too fast of a hard switch?) so for her i'm going with propectalin and bland diet. if Bentley stays the same and Sadie gets over hers then i will give them a couple weeks to stay normal. if they do i'll try once more to slowly transition to a different high quality kibble. if at any point they develop any vomitting or diarrhea (esp. diarrhea) i will get that profile done no matter the cost. the only reason whatsoever i'm holding back right now is because this all happened at the same time they A. took a trip and their food spoiled B. switched to a new type of dog food since i got scared about raw spoiling C. left them overnight in their kennel with my BIL to check on them and a huge thunderstorm happened D. dh worked a week of overnights and we were home alone a lot E. am going to start a new job and am stressed about money and changing their feeding routines to a totally NOT on schedule feeding times.

with all those changes going on, and each episode of sickness coming at the same moment something changed like that, i feel like i've just gotten them so far from their normal food and routine that i've caused them to go back and forth between good and bad.

so that's my plan of action for now, i'll give Sadie a couple days on bland diet with the propect. and if she's not well we'll do the fecal profile. if Bentley gets diarrhea again after he's finally having normal movements we'll get his done too...hopefully she'll clear up with the bland and he'll stay normal now. then hopefully we can finally make a good solid SLOW tranistion to a good kibble from raw and it will work for them both. and hopefully our stress with money and new working schedules will resolve and make everyone happier and healthier....WHEW i feel better already.
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!