View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieJoy4Us View Post
Thank you all for yuor guidance.

When we were looking at this breeder, orignially we were interested in a good quality yorkie that , if we chose to, we could show. We were not so much interested in breeding but had begun to explore that idea.. albeit it was short lived.

The agreement was for a show/breed quality pup... at a set price.. or a pet quality pup at a set price. I chose the show/breed quality option as we thought this would insure a better quality dog. We were simply trying to choose the right option to get a good quality puppy..

The breeder has been honest and helpful and did share the vet said the pup we'd chosen (we had first pick.. and unfortuantely our puppy had this defect) had an underbite when she took them in for their 6 week check up... she siad because of this the pup would get a limitied registration rather than a full registraton and the pet price...

So we are trying to do the right thing and choose our puppy thoughtfully and respectfully.. while still feeling we should be able to have a pet quality pup not because of a defect, but because we arent going to show/breed her.. make sense?
I haven't talked to knowledgeable breeders about this, but "first pick" is a little tricky isn't it? What are you looking for? I mean, some people are interested in size, but the runt of the litter, can grow to be the biggest dog. Like Bonbon said, you really don't know show quality until a dog is much older around 8-10 months. Some breeders are so good that nearly every dog they produce turn out to be excellent examples of the breed, but if this is really important, it might be best to buy an older dog. Only people who are choosing to breed need to be overly picky about the looks of the dog, for pet owners, you dog just turns into a family member, full of imperfections, so finding a breeder who does health testing and knows her lines thoroughly is so important because down the line, health will be the only thing that concerns you. Depending on where you live, $2000 is not unreasonable for a "pet" quality yorkie with limited registration.

Join today and remove this ad!