View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Hi there,

Not a huge fan of either of those, but first if you switch I recommend you do it slowly.

Second, take a look at the ingredients (I don't want to brand bash, just want to provide some information). You want to assure there are absolutely NO bi-products. with bi-products it means anything can be in there. so for example chicken bi-product = bad, chicken meal or just straight up chicken is ok. The first 3 ingredients of your puppy's food make up the majority of it's ingredients (% wise). So your first three ingredients should have at least one main meat usually chicken. Corn or grains are fillers, some furbabies don't take well to corn and need a grain free diet (mine was one of them) If corn is in the first three ingredients then you will most likely have to feed a lot more kibble to get equal nutrients that you would if you were feeding a more high quality feed. I didn't realize it until I switched how much I saved $$ by switching. It would have taken Harley 1/2 a cup of his Royal Canin, to reach the nutrients of 1/4 cup of his Now! He can only eat 1/4 cup a day so he wasn't getting enough nutrients. By having to feed him less, it actually saved me money by switching to a high quality feed. Consider this information before choosing what you want to switch to.

And please fellow YTers if I made an error in the nutrition talk above, please correct me. it's been about 10 months since I picked my food out for Harley...

I'm not meaning to brand bash or anything, I'm just not a fan of those large companies who do not specialize in dog food or at least pet food. For example:
Mars Inc makes Royal Canin
Nestle makes Purina
Collgate makes Science Diet
Proctor & Gamble makes Iams
These are the top for global pet food providers, and not one of them "specializes" (source Agriculture & Agrifood Canada)

There is a great link that is "sicky" in the health and diet section listing healthy foods, that are made by companies who specialize in pet food.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!