View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
tjdmom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Most likely the momma did not intentionally hurt the puppy. New mommas need to be confined to a small private area away from other dogs. They have to feel secure. I always have my new mommas in an exercise pen with sheets hung on the sides for more privacy. Often a new momma, if not confined, will try to pick up the pups and move them. This could be what your momma was doing and she could have accidentally bit down to hard on the pup.

It is normal for the momma to lick the pups a lot. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
I agree, and it's also common for new moms to be a little anxious about things. I hope your whelping box is in a private area. Also, be sure she is getting plenty of calcium. If you search on her for whelping pudding, there are some great recipes. If she is not getting enough calcium she will be even more restless and could become aggressive towards her babies. Good luck. I really feel for you having a new born yourself and if you wind up having to hand feed these babies, well, I don't know how a new mom could do it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!