View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik20101 View Post
Piper is 22 weeks old now. So far she has had 3 DA2PPv (6wks, 9wks, 12 wks). Then she had DHPP, Rabies, and Kennel Cough at 20 weeks. Now they are calling me saying she needs another booster tomorrow (at almost 23 weeks).

Does she really need this? She weighed 3 pounds 2 ounces three weeks ago.
Wow .....Piper has had a lot of vaccines for her young age.......The is no rush to get into the vet for additional vaccines. There is no time limit. The previous vaccines do not wear off, weaken or have to be done in a set time frame. The only reason the vets give vaccines in a "set" is because they are doing them at such a young age that the pup still has mom's natural immunity and it blocks the vaccine from forming immunity. They figure if they do three doses one of them will produce the antibodies they need for immunity.........At 6 weeks old only about 40%-50% of pups will produce the desired response, more than likely all the pup recieved was a stressed immune system and was put at risk for contracting parvo at the vets office.....

It's not a matter of the number of vaccines a pup get it's a matter of "when " the vaccine is done. If you give a pup one vaccine at the age of 16 weeks or older that would produce the exact same desired effect as doing the "set." in my OP, at this point if it where me I would not be going back for more vaccines at this point.....

This is from the experts concerning this issue....

"Multiple vaccinations with MLV vaccines are required at various ages only to ensure that one dose of the vaccine reaches the puppy's immune system without interference from passively acquired antibody. Two or more doses of killed vaccines (except rabies) and vectored vaccines are often required to induce an immune response, and both doses should be given at a time when the passively acquired antibody can no longer interfere. Thus, when puppies are first vaccinated at 16 weeks (or more) of age (an age when passively acquired antibodies generally don't cause interference), one does of an MLV vaccine, or two doses of a killed vaccine, are adequate to stimulate an immune response." (American Animal Hospital Association)

__________________________________________________ _____________

"We should not give vaccines two weeks apart. At the two week interval the immune system is at its peak response. Lots of non-specific inflammatory agents are stirred up. If we give another vaccine two weeks later we are more likely to get an adverse reaction and less likely to get a good immune response. Vaccines should be administered three or four weeks apart. An even longer interval will work just as well. IF A CLIENT IS LATE FOR A VACCINE IN THE INITIAL SERIES, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO START OVER."(Dr. B. Rogers DVM)

__________________________________________________ _______________

Also the vet used combo vaccines on Piper.......This is not recommended by all the experts. It greatly increases the risks for adverse reactions, not only because of the numerous components in the vaccine but the smaller the pup the greater the risk for reactions. Combo's also elicit a heavy toll on the immune system in trying to process all the components in the vaccine. If there where a reaction they would not know which component is the cause. The combination of viruses will tend to compete with each other and it will/can produce a lower level of antibodies. I would seriously reconsider allowing a vet use these types of vaccines.....

"Giving combo vaccines (multi-valiant, polyvalent) and/or several shots at once increases the risk of adverse reactions as well as the risk that the vaccines will interfere with each other, resulting in neutralization or negation". (American Animal Hospital Association)
__________________________________________________ _______________

Small dog alert! Small dogs are more likely to experience adverse reactions, and shots containing multiple vaccines are more likely to cause adverse reactions according to renowned pet vaccine expert Dr. Jean Dodds.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Giving combo vaccines (multi-valiant, polyvalent) and/or several shots at once increases the risk of adverse reactions as well as the risk that the vaccines will interfere with each other, resulting in neutralization or negation. (American Animal Hospital Association)
__________________________________________________ ___________

I just wanted to mention so you'll be better prepared for later. I see the vet also gave several different vaccines on the same day. This should never be done. One per visit and spaced 3-4 weeks apart. This cuts down on reactions and complications. It might help if you use Dr. Dodds schedule for a reference .....

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs

You'll note that there is no need for additional vaccines after one year, and kennel cough is generally not needed for a pet, it's equivalent to the pup catching a cold.. It is a very mild a n self limiting illness for the most part.....

If you want to read up on vaccines here are some helpful places to start...

The Rabies Vaccine for Dogs: Side Effects and Precautions You Can Take

Truth4Dogs

Puppy Shots

Canine Vaccination News

Canine Vaccines and Vaccination | Dog Vaccination Schedule

Sorry this is so long but it is important.....I hope this helps and good luck...P.S. you might want to consider looking around for a vet who is doing the newer vaccine protocol of just doing the "core" vaccines.......

Last edited by jp4m2; 08-17-2010 at 09:26 AM.
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!