View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmans View Post
I am posting this now that I have experienced EXTREME terror/panic when I thought our beloved Bella had broken her leg/hip. She ran up her little bed stairs too quickly and fell off, landing hard on our wooden floor. She let out a loud yelp and continued to moan (in a weird way) for about 1 1/2 minutes. My husband rushed over and picked her up and held her. We kept her inactive and waited to see, we were ready to rush her to the vet. She turned out to be scared as she is not showing any signs of pain, incapacity, etc. today. She's acting and moving and running 100% normal.
In that short time I realized I would not know what is best to do when a bone does break. I know get her to the vet, but what immediate care should be given to reduce pain and protect further damage from the break. We have almost an hour drive to a vet.
I can't put into words how devestated we felt when we thought she was hurt. We realize accidents happen and want to be prepared just in case.
Thank you so much for any guidance you could give us.
Just like humans memorize the acronoym RICE. Rest Ice Compress Elevate. So put an ice pack on a household needs to have a cold pack always in freezer - I like the ones with velcro straps that you wrap and velcro in place. Buy some ace bandages and wrap and place ice/cold pack on. for the rest she either needs to be put in her crate or held immobile until you get to vet.

Rule of thumb for cold packs 10 minutes on 15 minutes off.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!