View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Like you said, you did not have a mentor in the beginning. In all my years of being involved in showing I was never told by anyone to get a mentor. Mentoring is something I just started reading about here on YT from a handful of people. While I think it is an excellent idea, not everyone that shows started out with a mentor. There is a lot of research that needs to be done before you even select a mentor because not all mentors are equal. I have learned a lot on YT from many of the show breeders, many who are no longer posting. Show breeders should not be afraid to share basic information, it is very educational.
No I didn't but, I knew what to do to find one. I researched.

However, if one doesn't have the where with all to attend dog shows to find such a mentor, saying they are not close to dog shows, speaks volumes to me. They won't put the effort into dog showing.

I agree not everyone started out with a mentor, however, they quickly found out that without one they weren't going to get anywhere.

I will say that there is information on how to obtain a mentor....what to look for. There's plenty of articles in the Yorkie Magazines on what to look for. What I will say is that we are looking for good people to mentor, but there are few newbies that really have the qualities that will do the best for the breed. Remember mentors look into newbies heart.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!