View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Obtaining a mentor requires a lot of effort. This is one of the things that mentors look for in a newbie. If they have the drive and desire to do right by the breed.

I didn't have a mentor when I first started....but, a lot of research on my own on how one goes about it. Attending shows is the best way to finding a mentor, joining breed clubs. Contacting officers of breed clubs. The information is out there.....you just have to do the work.
Like you said, you did not have a mentor in the beginning. In all my years of being involved in showing I was never told by anyone to get a mentor. Mentoring is something I just started reading about here on YT from a handful of people. While I think it is an excellent idea, not everyone that shows started out with a mentor. There is a lot of research that needs to be done before you even select a mentor because not all mentors are equal. I have learned a lot on YT from many of the show breeders, many who are no longer posting. Show breeders should not be afraid to share basic information, it is very educational.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!