View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #15
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts_mama View Post
Just my 2 cents, but to a certain extent, I feel BYB are an even bigger problem than puppy mills. The back yard breeder throws 2 dogs together or has an "oops" mating. There's no concern with the history of the health in the lines or the welfare of the pups once they leave. Even though oversight is abysmal with puppy mills, it's still more than is in place for the backyard breeder.

And at the very least, at least puppy mills are honest about their motivations. BYB's try to sound altruistic in their excuses- I wanted my friend to have a dog, I wanted my kids to experience the miracle of birth...

What BYB will never acknowledge is that they ARE puppy mills, just on a small (even single litter) scale.
Here in my city we have elections coming up in Oct, one councillor has a platform that includes banning the sale of puppies or kittens in pet stores.

His reason stated is the lack of care taken of these puppies in the stores.

My reason for support of this stance is hit the pocketbook of the local puppy mills, if Canada's largest city bans the sale of puppies/kittens in pet stores, it will certainly be felt by the millers.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!