View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #12
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
You know Mary I've been thinking about this some. I don't think the average person who just wants to have "one" litter for all the reasons we've heard, thinks of themself as a BYB.

Putting to oneside those folks who have avarice in their blood, wanting to make a buck off their female, the rest of the folks, just don't honestly understand why putting their cute little female, with this other boy Yorkie is a bad idea. They might want a "playmate" for their own dog, and a spare one for their Grandpa. they don't know the dangers of breeding, the risks they put their female under.

Then we have the group of folks who say "I'm just breeding for those folks who want pets" they don't understand or often times even care about breeding to standard etc. In fact often times they are disdainfull of what they call show breeders. They don't clarify that they do all the health checks, they don't necessarily have a health guarantee, they just want to provide the "public" with an affordable Yorkie. They also don't think they are BackYard Breeders. Mayhap they rationalize not doing health checks etal, as after all you are getting a deal at $500 or $700 I can't afford to offer health guarantees etc.

I don't know what the answer is, perhaps there isn't an answer, other than to continue to answer the questions as we can, to act in the dog's best interest, and to pray, over time we can make a difference.
I have given up trying to educate these people. They have already made their decision and nothing anyone can do or say can usually change their minds. They believe it is okay and nothing wrong in it. They totally think there are two types of dogs for breeding - one for just pets and one to show. So sad! And in MHO - Backyard breeders means just that - breeding in your own back yard! That means breeding in your home and do not go farther to show (evaluate professionally the quality of your dog) and most often do not do the require tests. They think why do all this testing and cost, since they are not going to show. And the buyers make this worse, since often they will say when calling, "I only am looking for a pet, not a dog to show." Which really means, I am looking for that cheap price since it is just going to be a pet. Or I just do not have a lot of money but really want a yorkie, and I want a puppy not a rescue. They just do not get it. I truly believe that if one is going to breed, they better only breed the best out there and prove it.

The future of this breed depends on what quality of dogs people are breeding. Think about how many pups are produced and then those pups growing up and producing more and they go on and produce. Many pet breeders that breed sell pups with open registry, not thinking it is wrong. I have often seen some breeders even advertise a puppy of 3-4 months old as a brood bitch or a male stud. What?? How can they know for sure at this age if they have what it takes to be of excellent quality. In most cases this is just the opposite and this pup should never be bred. Many of the people that buy this type of dog thinks this breeder is doing right and knows. No, they actually do not. Yet so many people fall for this and then go on and breed this dog and never have it evaluated and often not tested.

Puppymillers are a great problem. Educating the buyer is the best way to get these places to stop. Often when Bills are passed with loop holes and these millers know how to use them. It is all about the money and no care to the animal at all.

Mary is also right, many of the pet owners also breed for money. I have seen people saying they have a male or female and they want to breed them. They have fallen on hard times now and think if they have a litter it will give them some cash. I even had one guy that called me asking if I wanted to use his male as a stud. He was calling everyone. I had to laugh when I got the call. I then gave him some education, but did he take it, probably no. He just went on most likely to call others. This male was his pet, he bought from a pet breeder with open registry and never had it health tested, but did go to the vet for his yearly, and was 10 pounds and he was not aware of the standard. What standard?? He thought the yearly examined also proved his dog was healthy! LOL!!! Most people just do not know what it really takes to be a good ethical breeder. And most often it is the small percentage that actually do the research, evaluate their dogs, health testing completed, and do not do it for the money.

Last edited by topknot; 08-07-2010 at 04:06 AM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!