View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
YorkieProud
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I will respond I'm not a breeder of Yorkies, but I do own a showboy. I wanted an agility dog, you see I train with a breeder of Yorkies who brings her Yorkies to our training session; we have large breed dogs.

I fell in love with this breed watching her Yorkies in obedience and agility. And I do exhibit my boy. And not so surprising what she thought would be a great dog for agility also had good show potential. I bought him under the proviso I woud show him to his championship. His parents had good health tests done prior breeding and he did as a pup.

For keeping a dog in show coat, it is a lot of work. A joy to watch that lovely coat grow and shine. I'm here on Yorkie talk to delve much deeper into the Yorkie, as one day I will be ask to breed my boy. He is currently on his way to two championships. And will have all the tests done before breeding. This includes OFA for knees n hips, CERF for PRA, another BAT done, and of course pre breeding tests for STD;s .

It is my responsibility both morally and financially to pay for these tests, and furthermore to make sure that whatever btitch he is bred to has also undergone those tests.

I would never allow him to be bred to any female. Continential Kennel Club registered female, female off the street? No way no how.

Showing: I've loved showing Razzle. It is another way we bond together. Another new skill I'm on my way to learning. I'm so proud of my boy. He epitomizes the terrier personality. Brave, inquistive, athletic, daring. He loves people and other dogs.

He comes from good parents. Nature or nuture? It is always a question. I think it is both, and mayhap not in equal parts. He has been in numerous places with me, done Agility one and Two, been in obedience training, been to shows, swims, hikes, flown on a plane with me. He is confident, secure, and a very loving boy. Temperament is AAA.

My breeder believes in exposing her dogs to different stimuli, only then do you get a true read on their temperament. She encourages all her owners of her dogs, to get involved, to train, to socialize.

Beyond structure and shall I say systemic health of the Yorkies, you want to have a good temperament, prior to breeding. And then of course you have coat and color.

It is very difficult to find all these things in a dog or bitch. I salute the breeders here who work tirelessly to find just those things.
Thanks Gail, I really appreciate you sharing. I will be attending my very first dog showing in September of this year, and I am hopeful that I will learn much about the breed. This is all very new to me, but I am very excited about it. Thanks again.
YorkieProud
YorkieProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!