View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
thepapillon
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Sad Bile Acids help!

Hi guys,

I am a vet tech and also an owner/breeder of papillons (I know, not a yorkie! lol) who I show in conformation. I've been breeding for 3 1/2 years and have produced some really nice paps! (Actually I have a top 5 pap and top 20 pap out now, and best in specialty show winning!)

Anyway, I have a little 16 week old puppy that dropped blood sugar on me when I knew she shouldn't have. (I knew she ate dinner well and when she looked a little sluggish I even dosed her with karo.)

I raced her into our hospital and her BG was only 34, even after karo.

We grew suspicious of why this happened. She ate dinner, had karo and STILL had low blood sugar.

Today I did a bile acids test on her because her TP and albumin levels were on the lower end for her CBC Profile BW. Her ALT and creatinine values were normal. She is also not anemic.

Bile acids results:
Pre- 2.1
Post- 19.3

According to our lab, over 14.9 post is abnormal. What I've been finding online is that over 25 is abnormal.

Otherwise she is a healthy dog, active, playful, doesn't "look" like a shunt dog. She has no other problems than this one time of dropping sugar.

I'm taking her off the high protein food she is on. (She's on Purina ProPlan Puppy, toy breed formula) It has 31% and I realize this may be too high.

As soon as I thought liver shunt, I thought yorkie people can help me! They know best! lol So, I'm here for advice and your personal thoughts on the matter.

I'm already going to spay mom. This puppy will be spayed and kept with me as a companion (as well as mom!) I'm just very sad as health is VERY important to me as a breeder.

Thanks in advance!
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!