View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesmom_2007 View Post
Since I have shown UKC I can add some input here. It is possible to finish a dog in one weekend because normally there are 4 to 6 shows in a weekend. I won't say it's easier because like AKC there are judge favorites. I have seen some judges put up a dog that was silver and blond against a dog with correct coloring. Both had decent structure however the silver dog had a full coat. The reasoning I found out later was the exhibitors friend is a judge and that judge had lunch with the other judge prior to the Yorkies being in the ring. Anyway I digress, with UKC you need a total of 100 points and 3 competition wins under 3 different judges, which like AKC you have to get Best Male or Best Female which is similar to Winners dog and Winners Bitch however if there are no other of the same sex showing against you then you would have to get best of winners to get the competition win. But if you are the only one with that breed you would have to get no less than 4th in group but there has to be at least 5 other dogs in group for you to get a competition win. UKC shows are a good way to get ring practice and it is more relaxed in the sense that you aren't showing against handlers but there are people who are diehard UKC exhibitors, so you do get the competition. Hope this helps
There will always be the possibility of politics being involved in any show, whether it be AKC, UKC or CKC. Long time exhibitors and breeders know lots of people and they know judges but that does not automatically mean the judge will put them up. You cannot know a dogs faults just by looking at it from ringside. Of course some faults are very visible, like a bad topline, but other faults can be hidden under the coat. Faults like a bad bite can only be seen by the judge unless you personally have looked at a dogs bite. Also, judges look at more than just the color of the coat. The lighter dog might have had better texture than the darker dog. From my observations of many of the UKC champions I have seen pictures of are darker, soft coated dogs that could not win in the AKC show ring.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!