View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
In the Houston, about a two hour drive from where I live, the only majors are usually the Yorkie specialty and toy show, so there are 4 days of majors and that's it. The Dallas area, a 5 hour drive for me, has more majors. It does take an exceptional dog to win every show. I know every breeder/exhibitor has their own way of doing things. Some will go to small local shows to get all the single points and then hit the road for the majors or put the dog with a handler. Others will just hold the dog back until it is in full coat and then just hit the bigger shows that are majors. As for cost, it gets expensive entering a lot of small shows. It can be better in the long run holding back until your dog is really ready but I think for the novice exhibitor, the experience you gain from the smaller shows is very valuable and it can be a lot of fun.
The Dallas/ Ft. Worth area has 3 shows a year, With Trinity Valley/Collin County/Texas Kennel Club holding 2 shows a year. And Fort Worth holding one a year and then there is the Bluebonnet Specialty, held in conjunction with the Toy Dog Specialty. San Antonio holding two shows a year; which still takes traveling for some. Then there is Nolan River, Texarkana, Beaumont, Denton and several more trhoughout the state are known to pull majors, all requiring travel. OK has several shows that pull large enteries. Then there is Kansas & MO....all big venues.
Texas is a big state and it takes a lot of traveling to get from one venue to another. The # of yorkies it takes to Champion is greater in this Division. And yes it is expensive. One needs to pick and choose their shows carefully.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!