View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
As we both know the competition is stiff in Texas. A lot more shows, but traveling is still necessary.

It is my understanding that UKC is a much more relaxed venue. But, a great training ground for the inexperienced exhibitor. Speaking to those that have shown in UKC, you can finish a dog in a weekend. I've also heard that those shows are not as plentiful as AKC.
In the Houston, about a two hour drive from where I live, the only majors are usually the Yorkie specialty and toy show, so there are 4 days of majors and that's it. The Dallas area, a 5 hour drive for me, has more majors. It does take an exceptional dog to win every show. I know every breeder/exhibitor has their own way of doing things. Some will go to small local shows to get all the single points and then hit the road for the majors or put the dog with a handler. Others will just hold the dog back until it is in full coat and then just hit the bigger shows that are majors. As for cost, it gets expensive entering a lot of small shows. It can be better in the long run holding back until your dog is really ready but I think for the novice exhibitor, the experience you gain from the smaller shows is very valuable and it can be a lot of fun.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!