View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

I know nothing about showing and the points the terms etc. So if I'm not saying this right, correct me.

is it possible to champion or finish a dog without traveling a great deal.

How many shows does it typically take to get all their points.

If someone would take the time to explain the whole process, I would appreciate it.

No, it is not possible to finish a dog in your own back yard. It's also very dependent in what region you live in.

The AKC point system is an indicator. Go to each breed and see how many dogs are needed for each point. If the number of dogs is greater, it's an indication there is more dogs of that breed are being shown in said region. That being said, it is also an indicator that the competition is greater. The the greatest indicator on how quickly a dog is finished is the quality of the dog, how it is being presented, etc.

California is a difficult state to find Majors in, so traveling is a necessity. In the Texas region, which includes; OK, NM, I think AR....Majors are a bit more plentiful....but you still have to travel to shows. On the average, if you have a good dog, it can Champion quickly.....

Again there is no typical answer on how quickly they Champion. I've had some dogs that Champion at 14 months of age....other's taking a bit longer....but, average is about 6 months of attending shows and that is only once every 3 weeks.......That is unless you have an exceptional dog and I've seen them......Champion in 2 or 3 weekends of showing....but, those are 3 or 4 day shows.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!