View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieK View Post
I know nothing about showing and the points the terms etc. So if I'm not saying this right, correct me.

is it possible to champion or finish a dog without traveling a great deal.

How many shows does it typically take to get all their points.

If someone would take the time to explain the whole process, I would appreciate it.
Well in terms of travelling that depends on where you live and how many dog shows are currently being held in your state. If you go to www.akc.org and do a search by your state, you can get to see up to 12 mths I think future shows in your state.
Certainly you will have to travel some. Unless you have an RV that usually means staying 1-2 nights in a motel.

The number of shows to get all their pts, that's tricky, not as predictable, because it is dependent on the number of dogs of your breed entered on a given competition day. Sometimes it can be hard to find a major, outside of the Roving Specialties, and you need two majors from two different judges to finish your championship. In total you need 15 points. And you can't earn any points unless you beat the class competition and earn the WD - winners dog or Winners Bitch. This means you beat all dogs entered at the class level.

So one way you could estimate is to take a look at the shows in the past 12 months in your state, and find out the number of Yorkies entered in the past. Look at the class entries male/female entries, then if there were specials entered.

If you make the acquaintance of other show Yorkie breeders, they might be able to let you know when and where they will be showing.
So once you get all that information then you will have a better idea of "how" long to finish your dog.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!