Thread: new to yorkies
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Lacey928
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default new to yorkies

okay this is going to be long lol
I am so relieved to have found this forum! I am a stay at home mom of 2 girls ages 6 and 9 and have a deaf cat. I have always wanted a Yorkie they are so cute but i never could afford one (with papers and what-not). Until a good friend needed to part with her dear Roxy, and chose me and my family she is about 8yrs old () and very well mannered, house trained and all. But she is allergic to beef she has been on a low-fat, grain-free diet. I was told to get something along those lines. I have been feeding the cat Taste of The Wild since I've had him about 1 1/2 yrs. his coat is beautiful and he is very healthy. I was thinking of putting Roxy on it as well but not sure what formula to get.
Now to my stressful problem... Introducing the cat to the dog!!! We tried doing it the husbands way first (even after i said it would be a disaster). Which was him holding the cat while the dog was free to walk around. Needless to say he got scratched and bitten. I felt so bad for it being such a stressful meeting for both of them. Roxy is familiar with cats however my cat doesn't get along well with other cats. I adopted him from the pet store and no one knew how he was with dogs. After everyone calmed down I waited a hour or so and put the dog in her kennel, in the middle of the living room. Then let Cane out of his room. Everything seemed to go ok, he took his time creeping closer and closer to the kennel. Then I put Cane back in the room and let Roxy out. When it was time for bed I had Roxy in her kennel and let Cane run around. He was very curious of our new addition but when he gets by the kennel (a foot or so) he hisses at her. Any tips on helping with this situation would be great. I really hope to be able to incorporate her into the family. I'm not sure what will happen to her if i am not able to kept her, plus it will make me sad.
oh yea and the cat has been neutered and de-clawed on his front paws.

P.S. Please excuse any grammar errors etc.
Lacey928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!