View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
bellemarie
YT 500 Club Member

hi darcy, i agree with the above- a shelter dog would probably be his best bet (i have rescued a few different dogs over the years and they have been soo rediculously grateful to have a home i almost felt bad for wanting a puppy as well, but i do love my girls!
they really are super active nearly all the time; i have a 10 week old litter running around my feet as i'm typing this (it's 1.43 and they havn't calmed down yet tonight for some reason!) even if all goes well with the pregnancy and whelping, its still not a cert that all will be well- i had a tragic loss of a 7 1/2 week old pup- she was in the puppy pen with her littermates when play (i'm assuming) got a little too rough and she bumped her head. when i found her i crumbled to the floor screaming in shock and saddness and won't get over it for years if ever at all. when i called my mentor to let her know she also cried- it wasnt even her puppy and shes lost some of her own in the past.
this is the kind of thing you do need to be aware happens and nomatter what you do, sometimes a puppy only gets a few weeks, or a few days before its their time.
sorry for depressing everyone btw, but i feel its a valid point as sometimes we forget how fragile these little creatures are...

on a happier note though, if he does want a puppy, you may be able to put his name down with the local shelters for them to contact you when they have a suitable puppy (i know thats thew way it can work over here anyway!)

one litter isn't really worth it, and it could completely alter Your babys personality...
explain that to your grandfather and i'm sure he'd understand.

all the best!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!