View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komutanon View Post
My girlfriend and I can touch her anywhere and she doesn't care. Her ears, mouth, paws... but when it's a different person then that's another story. She gets aggressive with my parents when they try to pick her up. And she spends a lot of time with them too! I know she knows them by now.
There are many possible explanations and solutions for this problem. How do your parents approach her and pick her up? What do they do with her once they pick her up?

Your girl may be trying to say she doesn't want to be picked up and restrained because she wants to sniff and check out your parents and/or their home first (although she knows them and their home well). Every visit requires new inspection of both the people and place.

My older boy knows my brothers, but he would not be happy if they walked in the door and immediately tried to pick him up. Max also has a problem with people wanting to rub the top of his head, pinch his cheeks, bounce him like a baby, and basically get in his face. He tolerates it when we are in a crowd, but he will get squirmy if he doesn't feel outnumbered.

Do your parents doggy sit your girl? Maybe she is aggressive toward your parents because she fears you leaving.

Have your parents allow your girl to approach them and have them give her small treats, play a little fetch with her or whatever she likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komutanon View Post
Another annoying problem with her is she runs away a lot of times when I try to pick her up. For example, if we have to leave the house I try to pick her up to put her in the car. She'll run away from me as if we're playing a game. She won't listen to me at all. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Honestly, I think she's very smart but in a conniving kind of a way haha
Quicksilver offered great advice above for teaching your dog to come on command. One more idea -- when you teach the command, turn away from your dog and move in the direction that you want your dog to go.

Don't ever show your frustration or anxiety to your dog. Max likes to play hard to get too. He will come to me and right when I reach to pick him up, he will turn and strut away. I have to work hard to suppress my laughter or screams, depending on what mood I'm in, and I look at the wall or my fingernails like I've got all the time in the world. That is when he comes to me and sits to be picked up.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!