View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
komutanon
Yorkie Yakker

Default Training without treats?

My 11 month old morkie, Kimchee, has some behavioral problems
My girlfriend and I have taken her to puppy class that used positive reinforcement with treats and praise. She did well but unfortunately we weren't really consistent with the training afterwards. I work full time and she is in school and working part time so it's been hard.

Anyway, my girlfriend took Kimchee to the vet last week. Kimchee became very aggressive and tried to bite the vet when she was trying to look in her ear. So the vet took Kimchee to the back room where she couldn't see my girlfriend. It turns out that once my girlfriend was out of sight, Kimchee became calm. The vet recommend that we do 1 on 1 training and referred us to this Day care/Boarding/Training place.

We checked the place out a couple of days ago. The girl that we spoke to explained to us that they don't use food to train. They say they teach the dogs to respect the owners. They show the dogs who the alpha is. I explained to them that we tried one puppy class before and they wanted us to use choke chains. We did not want to do anything like that. The girl told us they don't train through fear but through gaining respect. She did not give any examples on how they teach the dogs respect without treats.

What do you guys think of this trainer? Everything that I've read on yorkietalk about training has to do with positive reinforcement with treats. I want to correct Kimchee's behavior but I want to do it the right way. Any suggestions?
komutanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!