View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
MlssOcean
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany001 View Post
A few weeks ago I did the what Maximo suggested...I say "I'll be back" as my key phrase--then I walked out and shut the door (leaving a window open so I could hear, but he could not see me), I stayed out for a minute or two, and when he was silent I came back in. I repeated that several times , increasing the time I was gone to about 15 mins. Only coming back inside when he was silent so he associated my return with silence not crying.

Now he's usually calm when I leave. If he is crying when I leave, it only lasts a few seconds then he stops.

We are working on this with our Dharma. How old was your dog when you were practicing this? Dharma is 14 weeks old and she has been home for a week and a half. She poops in her crate every time we leave so we're trying to work on getting her more comfortable when we leave. I was just wondering if she is too young, or if she has been here too little to feel comfortable enough when we leave.

As I said in another post, we leave her in her crate with toys and the radio on. We only leave her for an hour tops!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!