View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Neutering will not make him more sad or depressed. To the contrary, neutering is more likely to make him less anxious. An intact male usually has a desire to get out and roam to search for a female.

To help your dog with separation anxiety, provide plenty of distractions when you are away: toys, safe treats, perhaps television or radio.

Do some training exercises where you use keywords or phrases as cues that you are leaving, but you will return. Leave for only a few minutes the first time and gradually increase the amount of time you are gone after each departure.

When you leave and return, don't make a big deal out of it. Be calm and relaxed and your dog will eventually follow your lead. If you are anxious or nervous, your dog will pick up on it and mirror your feelings.

If you can, try walking or playing fetch to wear out the dog before you have to depart. He might still make a fuss when you leave, but he will have less energy to keep it up once you are gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany001 View Post
A few weeks ago I did the what Maximo suggested...I say "I'll be back" as my key phrase--then I walked out and shut the door (leaving a window open so I could hear, but he could not see me), I stayed out for a minute or two, and when he was silent I came back in. I repeated that several times , increasing the time I was gone to about 15 mins. Only coming back inside when he was silent so he associated my return with silence not crying.

Now he's usually calm when I leave. If he is crying when I leave, it only lasts a few seconds then he stops.
Both are good posts! I have an Kaji pees when excited. Whenever I would bend down to hug him or pick him up is when he would pee on me. I did the calm walking in, and then taught him that he will get picked up after he piddles in the correct place. It really works to be calm and ignore him at first.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!