View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #48
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
There have been many threads here on AKC suspensions, but for legal reasons those lists are no longer easily available. Too many sue-happy breeders. Yes, the AKC is a business; it's not a non-profit organization, like the YTCA, for example. The AKC definitely needs improving, and that's why I would like to see more than just large commercial breeders calling the shots, pet owners and reputable breeders should unite.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but the Canadian equivalent of the AKC, the Canadian Kennel Club is in serious financial trouble, and is asking it's members and breed clubs for donations. I seriously hope this doesn't happen with AKC. I imagine if they start hurting financially, they will have less money to do inspections, and when the USDA knows that a breeder is AKC registered, that aren't as likely to do frequent inspections, so it's a double whammy.
I read AKC's lists of suspension and it is not that many mills compared to breeders who who don't keep records or show people who don't play by the rules.

I also know the AKC's budget...give me a break..last count they only had like 7 inspectors ...but AKC rakes in millions every year.

I am fully aware of the Canadian Kennel Club and their problems. I went to their website but apparently they don't want outside people to review much of their programs.

Oh and AKC is a non-profit organization.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!