View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
YorkieProud
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default All i can say is "thank you god!!"

It scares me to death, when I think of how close I came to becoming a BYB. Yes, I said a backyard breeder. I have two Yorkies (Emma and Dawson) and I love them dearly. I have done research, spending hours on the computer, trying to read as much as I could about breeding, the whelping process, the signs, the complications, the joys, and the sorrows. I started and maintained a pregnancy fund, went to Vet got all the tests and got the green light to proceed.

My intentions for breeding was to produce pups for my two daughters who have both recently gotten married. They too love our Yorkies and wanted very much to have a little piece of Emma and Dawson in their homes. I bred Emma and Dawson in April of this year. I mean why not it is a normal process. Most dogs go through it and do just fine. I put no second thought to pedigrees, bloodlines, genetics, or birth defects.

Not long after the breeding, I joined this forum. In my experience here, all responses were very caring and had an abundance of knowledge. As I began to read hundreds of threads, I began to realize that this is not a decision to be made lightly.

I have always loved this breed, but now I have a new found respect for it. I no longer want to produce puppies for the sake of having little Emma and Dawsons running around. I want the breed to be better, stronger, and healthier. I would love to become a breeder some day to preserve this wonderful breed.

As of late, there have been many forums where posters feel they are being bashed by the experienced breeders here on YT and for the record, I am not talking about any one specifically. I will say that it is unfair to ask advice, receive advice, use the advice, and not expect the advisor to voice their opinion on the situation. You need to realize that this advice is coming from people who are extremely passionate about this breed and the preservation of great blood lines in the hopes that all outcomes are healthy, happy, sturdy puppies. When you spend money on a new car, you don't expect it to have a 20 year old engine. I believe the same principle applies here. I will also say that however harsh they have come across to you, these posts have made me wake up and smell the daisies.

I am here and I want to learn as much about this wonderful breed as I possibly can. I refuse to become a BYB. I want to help preserve this wonderful breed and will NEVER breed this pair again. It turns out that the breeding did not take as Emma's heat cycles are irregular and she cannot produce. "THANK YOU GOD!!" The pregnancy fund is being used to spay Emma and the remainder is being used to research this beautiful breed by way of books, classes, showings, and finding the perfect mentor. I will become a breeder, but only after I have gone through the proper channels and education needed to do the job correctly.

TO THE BREEDERS HERE AT YT: PLEASE DO NOT LET ANYONE DETURR YOU FROM POSTING!! THANK YOU ALL.

YorkieProud

YORKIES LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY AND LOVE US DESPITE ALL OUR FAULTS!!

Last edited by YorkieProud; 06-26-2010 at 03:16 PM.
YorkieProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!