View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
jvdb
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Puppy sale dilemma, weights question

Nearly 6 weeks ago my Molly had two beautiful puppies. A brown one weighing 2.8 oz and a white one weighing 3.9 oz. (they are Yorkie/Papillon).

We advertised the puppies and found buyers the week they were born, two women in their 50s, good friends. One owns a 4lb yorkie and the other one does not yet have a dog. We sold the puppies for $750 each, and received a $300 deposit on each of them at that time.

The parents of these puppies weigh 4.4lb and 4.5 lb and in the ad we placed for the puppies implied that they would most likely mature near the weights of the parents.

Here we are 6 weeks later and the white puppy weighs 18oz (right on track with what we expected) while the brown one has exploded to an unbelievable 28.6oz - he is off the growth charts and we estimate at this rate he will weigh 7lb full grown. The brown one walked sooner, had teeth earlier, and started eating softened puppy food sooner, it is as if he is a week or two ahead in his development.

As you can see we have a dilemma, I have informed the new mommy to be of his weight progress and she is unsure of her feelings toward this - she was wanting and expecting a dog around 5lb or less but was really looking forward to bringing this guy home - she was beginning to get quite attached to him.

Has anyone had a puppy that seemed to be quite ahead in development and then slowed back down to normal later on? or should I be expecting him to continue to grow way off the chart?
jvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!