View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
RoxyLuv
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts_mama View Post
Ceasar Milan and the girl from It's Me or the Dogs (sorry, can't remember her name right now) advocate coming in and totally ignoring the dog until it's in a calm state of mind. Turn your back on it, fold your arms and look away if it's jumping. The dog only gets attention once it settles down (whether that is just sitting at your feet or going to it's place is up to you.)

I admit, it's hard to do with the smaller dogs 'cause they are so darn cute. And it's not like they are going to knock you off your feet with their greetings. But even with a big dog I would never knee it in the chest or step on it's foot to get them to back off.

Dogs want to please. And I think Yorkies are exceptionally smart and pick up on right and wrong quickly.
Cesar & Victoria's turning your back & ignoring has worked quite well for some things, but definitely not when it comes to this incredible excitement jumping with Roxy. Her excitement level is so intense that she hears nothing & sees nothing except these wonderful people/dogs that just appeared. It happens at home as well as other places. If she's on a leash, I can at least hold her back. She's like at a level 15 instead of a 10. What would you call it... red zone happy excitement??? I love that she is so ready to meet & be friends with everyone, but this is just too much and very bad manners. Trying to hold her is like trying to hang onto a slithering snake on speed. I'm at a loss as to what to try next too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!