View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil fu fu girl View Post
1) Menadione is a synthetic version of vitamin K. Menadione or vitamin K is not really a vitamin but a component of bacterial digestion. When natural vitamin K is absorbed into the body it has a specific pathway by which it is absorbed and utilized, not to mention that it is normally a fat-soluble compound. Synthetic vitamin K is not only not fat-soluble, but created to be water-soluble. It also does not follow the same absorbtion mechanism which its natural version does. Which means a lot less absorbtion and utilization by the organs that need it. If you feed your dog fish, fish meal, green plants, or liver, than you have got a natural vitamin K supplement. Here is a list of just some of the issues surrounding this pet food additive:
causes cytotoxicity in liver cells
causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions
considerably weakens the immune system
possible mutagenic effects
damages the natural vitamin K cycle
has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)
causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses
disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis
is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K
builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives
causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes
causes allergic reactions and eczema

2) Copper sulfate is used in dog food in very small amounts. It is added to prevent anemia...?! Well, if you are using a dog food with high quality complete proteins why would you need this ingredient? My concern is that its main use is as a toxic pesticide. Cornell Definitely would not want this in my dogs food.

3)Sodium Selenite is another one of those ingredients added into dog food because there has been not enough high quality complete proteins added into the food. Sources of this essential compound are found in fish, meat, and poultry, so why it would be needed if the dog food had the correct amount of complete proteins in the first place is beyond me!
Just like the others mentioned above, Sodium selenite and selenate can be toxic in high doses by effecting the pups blood, liver, and muscles. The whole sodium selenite puzzle is huge effecting animals that graze on plants in areas where this compound is naturally occurring, to the feed that is feed them from plants growing in saturated soils, finally to our pets where we are now adding this compound into their food as well. Toxic build-up is a reasonable conclusion for our pets due to this vastly-re-occurring compound in their specific food chain.

My conclusion in discussing these types of pet food add-ins, is why not just feed your pup more complete high quality proteins? This would eliminate the need for, and the problems associated with these ingredients.

Just a reminder, vets are not nutrionists, nor have they been significantly trained in the field. I would definitely suggest one especially if your pup is having difficulties.
Hope this helps.
Do you have the link to this, or is it your own information? Thanks!
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!