View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #32
WinstonMom
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
There are several reasons.

BYBers outnumber Great Breeders. These BYBers breed indiscrimentatly....with no clue. And yes, most of their breeding is off standard. But, I don't know if this can be turned around. Great Breeders, breed very carefullly and don't produce a lot of litters. BYBers do and provide a buyers market for the public.

Great Breeders, because of being burnt so often, are now very guarded with their lines. And they do breed infrequently.

Yes, Pet quality dogs are obtaining championships.....if you drag it around long enough and show in obscure shows with no competition....

Now there are still some great dogs shown by great breeders in the ring. But, I am seeing BYBers in the ring with dogs that shouldn't even be there, let alone being used as breeding stock.
In Canada the problem with poorer quality yorkies is even worse, it is very easy to champion a dog especially where I live in the Prairies. Eastern Canada and British Columbia have better dogs. I am in the process now of getting a male from a YTCA breeder in order to improve my breeding stock. For me now the goal is to make sure that I improve with every litter that I breed. There are some great breeders in Canada, but it is very hard for someone who lives in the middle of nowhere to buy a great dog from a great Canadian breeder when you live where I do. When I get my new boy, I will show him first in Canada and then down in the US.
We have a lot of yorkies shown here that would not make the cut in the US (actually most of them)

And the backyard breeders, man I don't even want to go there, it makes my blood boil (and lots of them have some really nice dogs that they have imported and then just throw them together willy-nilly).

Audrey
WinstonMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!