View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #37
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepuppie View Post
wow, thank you for the info. very helpful. i think part of the reason people might be a little intimidated with the prey model diet is just not knowing enough about it. just like before i started feeding pre-made raw, i thought it was going to be totally disgusting, but after i tried it out, it really was a lot better than i imagined.

prey-model sounds like a good way to go, but i don't feel like i know enough about how to do it correctly, and it feels a little overwhelming. i don't know how to prepare it.

another question regarding prey-model: what if your dogs do not like to eat raw food? what would you do? would you try to force them to eat it? my dogs do not enjoy eating the pre-made raw, and they get pretty skinny when i feed them raw because they both run away from the food when it's time to eat. how would you handle that situation if your dogs acted like that? i thought about locking them in the bathroom(because it's a small room and there is nothing else for them to do in there) and not letting them out till they eat their food, but they just cry and i really dont' want food to be a punishment to them... i guess that's why i put one of the things as consideration is if your dogs enjoy eating the food.

thank you for the info.!
i don't feed pre-model because i don't know much about it. and i am also concerned about the quality/safety of food i get. i think that maybe for human food, they expect you to throughly cook it, it might actually be handled less carefully than the pre-made raw, because with the pre-made raw, they know that dogs are going to be eating it AS IS. so i would imagine there are safety/sanitary procedures. (more so than human food where they don't expect anyone to be eating it raw) i am not sure if this is a legit concern or not?

right now, for home cooking, i just cook the meat and add it to the honest kitchen mix. so that should be a balanced diet for the dogs, and it's really easy to do and the dogs love it. although i can also just add raw to the mix as well.

do you see any disadvantages in my approach of feeding the all three? (pre-made raw, homecooked, and kibble) i just thought this might keep food interesting for my picky dogs, and also i would be able to "diversify" my risks of feeding them something bad.
Nutritionally, as long as all three meet AAFCO guidelines, that should be fine. If you're asking if I'd do it, no I wouldn't. I might feed some kibble and homecooked, kibble and raw (if raw was even on my list of consdierations), or kibble and canned; but I just see no reason to feed all the different types. I really do understand your concerns b/c I have the same ones , but mixing things up that much just isn't my thing. It sounds like you're really worried about making the wrong choice and I'm sorry. I question my choice regularly... In the end, I think my pick is the safest, so I go with it.

Your reasoning could be right. Not sure. But then, do these raw food companies say that their ingredients are fit for human consumption? Then I come back to the question: Why is the safety an issue if dogs can handle all of this bacteria? It tells me that some raw feeders are concerned about the type and amount of bacteria in meat, but what types and how much are concerning? So there are yet more questions... Actually, kibble feeders should be concerned about it too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!