View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Catrina,

I don't know what the price difference is between your vet and the Humane Society but I would go with an experienced toy dog vet. You have to be concerned that they are using the right anesthesia (Isoflorine) and are very carefully monitoring your dog. Someone's friend on YT lost their Yorkie last week because IMO they were not paying attention to the dog (2 hours under anesthesia). The Humane Society is setup to do large amounts of spay/neuter at one time and might not be paying enough attention. The only reason they are keeping your dog overnight is because of their schedule and not for the good of the dog. You will probably be told not to feed after 6:00 PM the night before and no water after midnight. This means your little one could go a whole day with no food or water. The other reason you don't want to go with the Humane Society if you can help it is, due to the large amount of diseased animals that they take in. Remember in many cases this is where people take their throw away animals so in alot of cases they have not taken care of their animals. The last reason is because your little one will be frightened in a place with all the noise of the other animals.
I am not putting the Humane Society down because they do great work but if you have a choice I will go with an experienced toy dog vet.

Now that I have probably scared you too much, let me tell you I have been in the surgery room for at least 15 Yorkie's that came through our rescue. The surgery probably only took 30 minutes for a neuter, longer for a spay (wasn't really watching the clock because it was interesting to watch) and within minutes of the vet turning off the anesthesia and giving them oxygen the dogs started coming out of the anesthesia. I was always allowed to hold my babies but usually a vet tec will do this until they have fought through the fog of the anesthesia and then all the little ones want to do is go back to sleep. I was allowed to bring mine home but most vets if they do the surgery sometime in the morning will let you pick up your baby by 5/5:30pm. There is very little pain and in many cases by evening they will want a little food and water. By the next morning they are almost back to normal and you just don't want them jumping off of anything or licking their incision. The vet may put a collar on them so they don't lick or you can buy a baby tee shirt and put it on them. I also think your little one would feel more secure and safe if it was at its own home.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!