View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Mom2TwoYorkies
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlshAngel985 View Post
You might hate me, but that is common practice to raise rent, at least in LA. There is a certain percentage a landlord can charge for an extra person. In some instances, renters pay all utilities and still have to pay an extra charge for an extra person or pet (these are rules from heavily regulated rent control areas). BUT, everything is stated in black and white on the contract regardless if it's one person renting or two. If they decide to add another person to their group, the contract states whether or not that is even allowed.
If your DD was able to negotiate with the landlady to keep the same price, hats off to her! Especially if there was no new person clause on bf's original contract. Whenever it's not written on the contract, whether yay or nay, I'm sure it's open to negotiation. Now that she's there, it really is in her best interest to have a lease or rental agreement (month to month) to protect her from the crazy landlady's whims. I had to make one up because my roomie was in a way sub-leasing, and she changed her mind about a lot of things. First she was fine with it then she wasn't. We never signed anything since she moved out to live with boyfriend, but she put me through hell before it was all said and done.
I can't hate you . . .I don't even know you . . .

I was a landlord at one point because we couldn't sell our condo and we had purchased our house . . .and my lease contract listed each person who would be living in the unit and the next line read "any additional person who resides at this residence, who is not stated above, there would be an additional charge of $50 per day while that person is living there" See, DD's boyfriend's lease stated nothing like that at all, so that is where DD could argue the fact if the crazy lady brought that up. Also, when I was a landlord our leases were renewed per year. If, our condo fees went up during the middle of the lease, we did not change our contract and re-write a new one, we just would add the charges upon renewal of the lease and always let the tenant know in writing what the changes would be.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!