View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Mom2TwoYorkies
YT 1000 Club Member

They went down to meet with the landlord on Sunday to go over his contract with her. His rent includes the water only, not electric or gas so he pays those seperately through the town. The contract doesn't state that an additional person would result in an increase of rent. They asked to see a copy of the water bill (which she could not produce) they then asked if the house had 3 seperate meters (which is doesn't) so there was no way she could state that DD uses that much water at all. She said she was "guesstimating" Also, the landlord lives on the first floor (she's an 80 year old lady, but her kids basically run the show) they rent out the 2nd floor which is 2 bedrooms for $800 and the top floor which is a 1 bedroom (where DD is) for $700. She then wanted to break the existing contract with DD boyfriend and re-write a new contract with DD named on it and to raise the rent the $90. They outright refused to do that and said that they would call the fair rent commission, because a 2 bedroom was only going to be $10 more than the 1 bedroom? She then changed her tune . . .and apologized and made nice. Before DD and her boyfriend left her she then mentioned how property taxes were going to be going up July 1st. I told DD that RENTERS do not pay HER taxes . . .and that if she wanted to try charge them property taxes they'll have to go back and talk with her again. (I think she's off her rocker)

But all in all, so far, it worked out in their favor and they don't have to pay any additional charges she was trying to cook up. His lease is good until 12/31/10, so I strongly suggested that in the fall, they start looking for somewhere else to live . . .

Last edited by Mom2TwoYorkies; 03-23-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Mom2TwoYorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!