View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Hi again...

Okay...don't take this the wrong way, but from they way it seems (perhaps) your vet is handling this, he may not have the necessary understanding of allergies. I suggest a Vet Dermatologist.

Right from the start, your kiddo should have had a skin scraping and a culture - both are simple, quick, and very diagnositic (and, can provide clues to relief!).

The fact that it seems the vet didn't even rule in/out whether this is a skin infection...is...not good. If this is staph intermedius (pyoderma) or fungal - it has to be treated. When skin/ear etc. infections are chronic/recurrent - there is something else going on, as skin is an elimination organ - so it's either 1) allergies or 2) secondary to a disease (hence, bloodwork needed).

If food was seriously suspected (only 10-15% of allergy cases), chicken should've been eliminated by the vet right away. Chicken and beef are known protein-source allergens. So, even if it is/was food allergy...the path taken by the vet didn't likely eliminate the right things for your baby.

A Vet Derm could likely figure this out very quickly. While it could be a food allergy, it really wasn't approached very well by your vet and I feel really bad for you and your kiddo - but try not to worry, I've been there too - and this is my vet derm's FAQ page, scroll down, click on "food allergies", for one, but there is all kinds of good stuff here (photos too): Dermatology for Animals
great website ann just snagged it for my allergy group
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!