View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
BellaRosa030
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New Puppy Not Eating or Drinking

Hi everyone,
I am new here, and I just brought home my new baby girl today. She is understandably very scared and confused, and got sick in the car on the way home (the cabbie was driving like a maniac), but she won't eat or drink anything and I am starting to get worried. She is 11.5 weeks old and very tiny (maybe 1.5-2 pounds - I'm not exactly sure, but she has a vet appt tomorrow so I will find out then). I know yorkie puppies can become hypoglycemic very quickly, especially the really small ones, so I am feeling more and more anxious the longer she goes without eating.

She has been mostly just sleeping since I got her home, huddled up in a corner of her bed or on a blanket. I've tried giving her nutri-cal by putting it on the roof of her mouth, which has worked to an extent, but since she is so small it's difficult to get a good amount in there. She hasn't played or eliminated since I got her home either (about 1:30PM today).

I guess I am just concerned and want her to be okay - has anyone else encountered this situation with a brand new puppy? I know it's only been a few hours, but I really want her to eat and drink to keep her blood sugar from dropping. How often should I force the nutri-cal? Should I wake her up from her sleep to give it to her, or just let her sleep? Sorry if any of this sounds naive, I am new and just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can so that my new baby girl is healthy & happy. Any advice and/or words of encouragement would be much appreciated. Thank you!
BellaRosa030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!