View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #23
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhondakester View Post
Hi. I'm glad I found this group! We have a 9 week Yorkie puppy (girl) who I would like to start on the RAW diet. I think I've read the posts correctly to start with chicken legs /wings.

I also saw where it was recommended to feed 50% red meat. Forgive my ignorance as I'm not a big meat eater, but when you go to the meat section, what would you look for?

Do you buy bone in red meat or just do the chicken with bone?

Thanks for any sample diets you can offer as well as specific types of red meat.

Also, does anyone feed their Yorkie's raw egg? I've read that those could cause stomach upset? Any past experiences there?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post.

Rhonda Kester
For our boneless red meat we give ground pork, pork shoulder, pork chops (not often), cow tongue, beef heart, beef cheekmeat. We also get a ground blend from a raw manufacturer and those come in beef, wild boar, and venison. MOST of our RMBs come from chicken but we also give pork ribs occasionally. I also try to give red meat organs such as beef kidney, beef spleen, and pork liver instead of chicken liver when I can. Other meals include chicken breast, chicken quarters (thigh and drumstick), chicken wings, chicken heart, chicken gizzards, and whatever I can find on sale!

I give Franklin and Maggie a raw egg every couple of weeks. I know it is very good for them. We've never had any problem with stomach upset here!

Here is a sample of what the dogs might get in a week. We vary quite a bit according to what I have in the freezer and/or defrosted. They always get a ground or boneless meal in the mornings. This is because I usually do not have time to supervise a bone meal. This is what they'd get for dinner:

Monday: Chicken gizzards
Tuesday: Pork ribs, organ
Wednesday: Chicken hearts
Thursday: Chicken drumstick, organ
Friday: Beef heart
Saturday: Chicken heart
Sunday: Pork ribs

They also get the occasional canned tuna, salmon, or jack mackerel because we don't feed raw fish yet.

Last edited by PrincessDiana; 02-22-2010 at 10:12 PM.
PrincessDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!