View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Roxiesmama
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default What to do when leaving the house?

I live in a townhouse. Roxie's domain is the living room and kitchen areas downstairs. She never ventures upstairs to the bedrooms. When I go out, I leave Roxie gated in the kitchen. She has her water and a bed and toys in there with her.

However, I really hate the gates. They are ugly and inconvenient. Also, Roxie will not voluntarily go into the kitchen if she sees us getting ready to go out. We have to hunt her down and pick her up to put her in there.

I want to be able to leave Roxie free to roam downstairs while I am out, without worrying that she will do something she isn't supposed to. I tried this *one* time not long after we got her. I left her free while I was at work. She peed all over my living room carpet while I was gone. That has been the only time she has ever peed in the house since we have had her.

Am I doomed to have these kitchen gates forever, or is there something I can do to make sure she doesn't pee all over the living room (or anywhere else) while I am out of the house? She is 3 years old and outdoor trained, so I don't think puppy pads are an option.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!