View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Magnus
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

It took me couple months to train Magnus to go on the pad consistently but it's finally happened. It took me so long b/c of couple of reasons. Part of it was consistency. During the day, he's with my mom and she wasn't able to be as consistent with him. Another issue was that the house was sort of big so he just went anywhere he felt like.

Now, here are the things I've done to correct the problems.

1. I put his crate inside the pen so that would be his "den" and his pee pad far away as possible from his den within the pen.

2. I blocked off certain parts of the house so he's not able to wonder around everywhere and it's easier to keep an eye on him. I think I read that it's better to keep the puppy contained to a smaller area until s/he's trained. (I basically built a gate for the hallway that leads to the sitting/dining room)

3. I put pee pads in every room he's allowed to roam around. (Kitchen, Living room, Hallway) And I spray that potty training aid on the pee pad. (I've read a lot of reviews saying it doesn't work but it worked for me so.. *shrug*)

4. I also put a pad holder on all of them. (I actually just made them since I didn't want to cough up 15 bucks each) But this is only if your baby has a habit of tearing them up when bored or any other reason.

5. This will probably sound... silly/weird but I made a L shaped mini wall. I made two so he can use one or the other when we have company and have to move one of his bathroom.

One thing I noticed about Magnus is that he's okay peeing when you're watching but he absolutely hates being looked at when he goes poo. Hence the L shaped mini wall for his privacy. LOL And he's been "accident free" for the past two week. I had 2 pads in the kitchen but took 1 away about a week ago. I will take away the other 1 in the kitchen as well eventually.

Sorry for rambling. I had a hard time training Magnus at first so I'm very familiar with that frustration. LOL Good luck to you and feel free to ask any question!
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!