View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
MorkieMomii
Senior Yorkie Talker

"If your dog is clingy and co-dependent, if he suffers from separation anxiety, he should not be in your bed. A dog who suffers great stress when you are away needs to practice feeling secure when not in your direct presence. If he is your ever-present shadow, whining because you are on the other side of a shower door, he needs to learn to be ok with separation. Sleeping plastered against you all night only feeds this co-dependence. Night time is a great time for him to practice feeling secure with you out of reach. "

Well dogs are pack animals, and night time, in the dark and cold, is when they clump together to sleep close for warmth and safety. I think this is the worst thing to do to a dog. We put them in a human home but they are dogs and when we forget their true nature I think that causes more problems. I think daytime is a more appropriate time to "practice" being ok with separation. Still it is for our convenience because pack animals stick together. Forcing dogs to be apart from us is forcing our human nature on them. It is necessary because we have things we have to do, I just think separating at night makes way less sense.

Last edited by MorkieMomii; 02-12-2010 at 01:08 PM.
MorkieMomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!